saudisandy

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Greetings from Saudisandy

I learned something about our medical clinic on our compound. Two weeks ago we had been to the dermatologist and he told us to return and be rechecked after two weeks. Usually the procedure is to take a number and then check in at the front desk. At this point the men at the computers type our file numbers and open the access for the individual doctors on their office computers. This particular dermatologist said that on our return visit we did not have to check in at the front desk, just to keep our old slips (little slips are issued at the front desk for each visit and then handed to the receptionist at the various areas in the clinic), and just tell the receptionist it was OK. We did all this, got in to see the doctor, who didn't remember us at all. He then said we should have checked in at the front desk. He insisted that he never told us to by-pass the front desk. Good thing my husband and I always go together to the doctors as we can bear witness to all that is said to us. Then the doctor had to call the front desk and they in turn were the ones that had to push the right buttons that would activate the computer in his office to our files. What a shock to us to find that all the doctors at our clinic are controlled to such a degree that they can not get to a patient's file on their own computers in their own offices unless the front desk activates their computer. Once he saw our files on the screen, the memory of us came back to him, of course, and he apologized for everything. No matter what, we will now always check in at the front desk.

This morning I went to the monthly meeting of AWEP (American Women of the Eastern Province) held at a local hotel and was treated to a wonderful cultural event. Five women form South American, representing Columbia, Venezuela, and Bolivia, and dressed in their traditional dress, gave an interesting presentation of their areas in South America. They had power point and in beautiful Spanish accents they introduced us to their native homes. Unfortunately, I did not bring my camera. Shortly after I arrived, one of the women from Colombia recognized me and came right up and we chatted for a bit. She also attends the 'Fellowship' group I go to once a week. We were talking about traditional foods and she wanted to know if I would try her favorite traditional food from her country that she always brings back to Saudi. I am adventuresome in this area, so she led me to a beautifully decorated table they had set up to show some of their traditional pieces and offered me the treat from a plate. "Try and guess what these are?" She gleefully said. They looked like tiny black berries of some kind or Columbian coffee beans. I popped a couple in my mouth. Had a bit of a nutty taste and quite crunchy....ANTS! My first ever. How clever of her to get me to try this as I would never have tried them if I knew what I was eating. I kept smiling and continued to discuss their taste as one would discuss a good wine. Then, the first chance, I made my way to a plate of cookies and downed a couple. Felt a tad queasy at just the thought of what I had eaten.

These South American ladies all live on ARAMCO and what they did was to give the hotel recipes from their country and we were then served a wonderful lunch of their favorite foods. The whole morning was just a huge treat in so many ways.

You know, I can still see and taste those ANTS, however.

2 Comments:

  • I hope AWEP has changed since I lived there in 1995. Because I was American Muslim and wore the hijab I was not asked to join. Their excuse at that time was because they served pork and alcohol at some of the meetings or events. Go figure an american group and I am all American the child of a WWII Vet. and I was not welcomed in this organization. Sorry I just needed to vent that has always bothered me. I have enjoyed reading your blog. I lived in Al-Mutlaq compound in Al-Khobar.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, November 15, 2006  

  • Dear Anonymous,
    Our current AWEP co-president is a very American woman and very Muslim and she always wears her hijab. In the years I have been here and been involved with AWEP, and that has been nine years, I have known several American women, married to Saudis and some of these women always wear the hijab and some never wear it. It is all by choice and the AWEP organization, in my years, has never shown any discrimination to these women at all. It is sad you had the experience you had. I have an American friend married to a Serian on my compound and she also wears the hajib, and I have invited her to come to meetins with me, but she has never shown an interest. Sometimes there can be some pretty ignorant American women passing wrong information around here. Sorry you bumped into some when you were here. I have never been to a monthly AWEP meeting where porK Or
    alcohol was EVER served. Our meetins are held in different places every month, in the MORNINGS and they have always been very respectful to this culture. AWEP has a large number of American women married to Saudis and over the years here the organization has benifited from these women a great deal in learning and interacting with Saudi Arabia in so many ways. My years in Saudi have certainly been enriched through AWEP, no doubt about it!
    Sandy

    By Blogger saudisandy, at Wednesday, November 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home