saudisandy

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

My Visit To The Saudi Medical Clinc

It was that time of year once again when I had to get the Pap’s Smear and Mammogram taken care of. No easy task out here in Saudi land. We have a clinic here on our compound, but there is no fancy x-ray machine for Mammograms at this clinic. The procedure is to go to our clinic, see the female doctor, and she will write out the request order for me to take to the King Faisal Teaching Hospital in the city. There I get all x-rays and treatment that the compound clinic can not do and I get it all for free.
I settled down in the ladies waiting room to wait to see the compound doctor in our clinic. What a stark room to wait in. About 7 other women were also waiting, all draped totally in black with faces veiled. There were a couple women with their maids who were tending the little children. On one wall was nailed a huge magazine rack, totally empty except for one copy of the Koran. No one had a book or anything to read, except me. I always travel with a book. This is not a reading society, except for tiny pocket-sized Korans/prayer books that the locals have. In clinics and hospitals or anywhere where locals are waiting, no one is EVER reading anything. Sometimes I see one or two reading their little prayer books, but usually they all just sit and stare, waiting to be called or answering cell phones. In our clinic there are no pictures on the wall or any decorations to make this waiting pleasant at all. Chairs are just lined along the walls in very ridged formation.
I did get my Pap’s test done, but only because I insisted. According to this doctor, I am too old to need one. According to my Internet studies, that is not the case. I have had to insist on them for the last couple of years here. Anyway, she signed the two necessary forms, for my mammogram at the hospital and I was finally done, after well over 2 hours.
Jim then drove me to the hospital in the city where I was to set up the x-ray appointment. Short wait there. I turned in my papers of request to the veiled lady x-ray technician. She looked them over, came back to me and said, “Sorry, we can not make the appointment, the doctor at KFUPM did not write the ‘reason’ for the x-ray.” She then handed back these 2 full pages of information and request. My melt-down started. No WAY was I going to meekly have Jim drive me all the way back to the university, wait another 2 hr. to see the doctor at the clinic again, so she could write, “annual exam” across a page and then drive all the way back into town to get this appointment. We really do risk our lives every time we drive off compound due to horrifically dangerous drivers here.
Still maintaining control, of sorts, and trying not to raise my voice too high, I asked her to just write “annual exam” across the page. NOPE, couldn’t do that, she is not the doctor. I told her this was my eighth visit for such an exam as their records will show. NOPE, makes no difference. There was no way they could call the clinic doctor and get this request over the phone. OK, I was loosing it! I asked her for a pen. She had none; I then went through the doors into the area where I was not to go and asked for a pen from a rather stunned gentleman technician standing there. He gave me his pen and I wrote, ANNUAL EXAM across the page, returned the pen, went back to the veiled lady technician and said, “Look, there it is, “Annual Exam”! Now, I would like to make the appointment. I got the appointment, and a couple of days later I had the x-ray.

4 Comments:

  • The medical care in Saudi Land is only about 50+ years behind times. I guess my questions are 1. Are the tests themselves up to date and valid? 2.. Do the people who are supposed to be reading the pap test and x-ray know what they are doing? 3. Are the x-ray machines up to date and safe?
    I'm wondering if their medical care is what you would want it to be..... even when you can get in for a test. I hope you have more trust in the system than I do.
    What a place! I'll bet that the Saudi women who can afford it go to France or the USA for their medical tests and care.
    I noticed that when Yassar Arafat was very ill they flew him out to France...... not to the closer Saudi Arabia.....and he was a MAN!
    Is there any way that you can get those tests done here, and have KFUPM pay for it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, December 25, 2005  

  • My experiences here concern this clinick here on the KFUPM Compound and the Teaching Hospital in the city of Al Khobar. The x-ray machine in current, all the tests are done very well as was any proceedure I had done at the hospital. The surrounding environment is not that comforting and they are not used to dealing with an agressive American woman. Most of their patients are locals and not that wealthy or educated. But, the care is up-to-date enough and certainly not of the 1950's. There are several hospitals to go to in this area, and one I have gone to. It is the top of the line and very expensive. Our insurance used to cover visits there, but this year the insurance took them off the list. I would not hesitate in any way to get treated in the hospitals here. It is just at times I do get frustrated with the proceedures we have to follow before the treatment. Nothing is very easy here and it does take a lot of energy. I have no worry about any of the professionals reading my x-rays or other tests. As anywhere, we all have to be very aware of what is going on, in or with our bodies, no matter where we are. It is just that here, I feel I have to be extra vigilant, but probably should be as vigilant in the USA as well.

    By Blogger saudisandy, at Tuesday, December 27, 2005  

  • A comment to Judy - medical care in Saudi Arabia is some of the best in the Middle East - and the world for that matter. As is the case anywhere, consumers need to be aware of what they are getting into, but I have been extremely happy with the physicians and facilities in Kingdom. I had laser surgery at a local private facility here in Saudi a few weeks ago - after being told by my opthamologist back in the States that the procedure was being done in KSA long before it was available in the US and that many of his colleagues had been trained here! There are a lot of things to worry about in KSA, but reliable medical care isn't really one of them imho.

    By Blogger Lori, at Tuesday, August 15, 2006  

  • Hi Sandy, I lived at KFUPM 1994-1999 (Marine Science Group, RI). You may remember there was a time when the mens pool was under repair. We had to use the ladies pool in our lunch hour. I jumped in and scraped my lip on the bottom like a nutter! It was bleeding and I went to the clinic. In fact it was the dentist who sewed it together!

    Hey did you get ebnough rain this year to get out to see the desert hyacinths?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, February 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home